Call Center Medical Appointment Clerks will be required to schedule appointments in Composite Health Care System (CHCS)/AHLTA for primary care, specialty and subspecialty medical care. In addition to scheduling requested appointments, the clerks will call patients to schedule, reschedule, and/or cancel appointments as needed, to include appointments for consult/referral specialty care within the MTF or at civilian facilities. The clerks will also enter telephone consults to the Provider teams.
- Schedule medical appointments and determine patient eligibility for services from phone calls, secured messaging or other methods used for appointment requests.
- Possesses the ability to find solutions when information is not readily at hand. Ability to find clinic information and appointing criteria located in Standard Operation Manual found on each appointment clerk's desk.
- Contacts clinic personnel when appropriate to clarify appointing issues or to assist patients in getting an appointment that the Call Center does not have permission to book.
- Enters Telephone Consults into AHLTA when required by the booking protocol.
- Responsible for independently dealing with each caller. Uses judgment in applying most appropriate appointing criteria and business rules in booking patient appointments. Must determine what appointment type best meets the patient's needs and schedule the patient accordingly, ensuring that the access-to-care standard is met. Will need to be able to recognize when to refer a patient to the Emergency Department or to a Registered Nurse.
- Maintains positive customer service practices and proper phone etiquette. Win positive personal interactions with patients, medical staff, and co-workers.
- Maintains appointment schedules using Composite Health Care Systems (CHCS) or AHLTA.
- Validates eligibility through appropriate booking through Defense Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). Will be required to register patients not already in computer system such as newborns and new patients.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date patient schedules and logs. Utilize CHCS/AHLTA system tools, (detail codes, freezing slots, and TRICARE on-line usage) to facilitate maintenance of appointment slots, rescheduling options, or cancellation processing.
- Validates basic CHCS patient demographic information prior to booking appointment for patients. Makes required updates.
- Calls patients or responds to secure messaging requests as needed to schedule, reschedule, and/or cancel appointments. Promotes consult referral specialty medical care within the MTF or at civilian facilities.
- May assist in preparation of patient notices (telephonically or form letter formats) for appointment reminders, no shows, or reschedule/cancellations.
Mandatory Knowledge and Skills
- Must be able to use a computer keyboard and type a minimum of 50 WPM.
- Must be able to use standard office equipment such as personal computers, copiers, fax machines and telephone systems.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Outlook, Internet Explorer, and Call Center phone software.
- Must have knowledge of general medical ethics, telephone etiquette, and excellent communication and customer service skills.